Friday, December 09, 2011

Last collegial crock pot of the semester...

Today was the last official office crock pot lunch of the semester, as next week is finals week (though I can't fathom how it could be harder than this week has been!), and everyone's schedule will be topsy-turvy without the traditional free noon hour on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But gosh darn it, I may have saved the best for last with this dish!

I wish I could give credit where it's due, but I don't remember the name of the person who posted this to the Crockin' Girls forum. Of course, I made a few adaptations, as is my way, but I have to tell ya, this white pork roast chili is some GOOD eats! And the recipe makes a ton, so I thought I would have plenty to share at work today. As it turns out, I barely got a mug-full myself; it was a veritable feeding FRENZY! Even the ladies in the business office who often find my cooking too spicy for their tastes (=wimpy North Country palettes) loved this. This would be a fine meal if you have lots of company coming for the holidays!


White Pork Chili

3 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 lb (bone-in) pork roast
salt  and pepper
1 jar of sliced pepperoncini peppers, drained
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
8 garlic cloves, minced (I suppose four cloves would do if you're not a garlic head like me!)

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Season pork roast liberally with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. Add the seared roast to crock pot along with the peppers, cumin, oregano, and garlic. Cook on low about 8 hours.

Remove roast from pot, place on a large cutting board and chop it and tear it apart, removing any fat. Placed the roast pieces back into the crock with all the broth from cooking.

Add to the crock:
1 small can green chilis
2-3 cans chicken broth (to desired consistency)
1 can cream of chicken soup (maybe 2 if you want it creamier)
1 onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and chopped (sauté the chopped pepper and onion if you have time, but it's not completely necessary--though I definitely prefer it!)
half a bunch chopped cilantro leaves
3 cans Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained (one of my cans was baby butter beans)
juice of one lime
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook on high another hour and a half. Serve with corn bread or white corn chips, and jack cheese and/or a dollop of sour cream on top.

No comments: