Thursday, June 21, 2012

All the way to NYC for half a CSA share?

My main activity this summer (besides teaching a couple of public speaking classes) is performing in a parody of some of Broadway's best-loved musicals called Forbidden Broadway. Even though we go up in less than a week (YIKES!), I managed to sneak away for a quick trip to NYC to see friends and to take in some actual Broadway and off-Broadway shows.

I headed down Friday morning for New Jersey, meeting my sweet friend, Jaymie, for a lovely dinner at a cute farm-to-table bistro in Cranford called A Toute Heure. Afterwards, we made our way over to the famed Papermill Playhouse to see our wonderful friend, Kevin R. Free, in Once On This Island (which was GREAT!).

















The next morning, I took myself into the Big Apple by car, train, and subway. I did a little shopping and then had a nice lunch at a cute place called the Cinema Cafe.



Then I met some dear friends to see a matinee of a show called The Hunchback Variations at 59E59 Theatres, starring my friend and former roomie, George Andrew Wolff. (I know, I know! I'm calling this trip my "I Knew Them When Tour." Tee hee.)
















After the show and catching up with George for a bit, we headed to Astoria to have a terrific al fresco dinner at a Mexican restaurant with the odd moniker of Pachanga Patterson.



Lastly, we worked our way back to midtown for a proper Broadway show, Peter and the Starcatcher, which was FANTASTIC! Christian Borle earned that Tony, let me tell you!
















And the ultimate highlight of my trip was seeing John Cameron Mitchell (=Hedwig) after the show!



It was a hard and fast twelve hours in the big city, and the next morning, I was up and on the road towards home. But Jaymie wouldn't let me leave without a parting gift--half of her CSA share! SCORE! It's taken me awhile to tuck in and start using the goods, but first up: Garlic Scape Pesto!

Ok, this is the easiest thing you will ever make in your life! In the food processor, grind up ten scapes, a scant 1/2 cup of shelled pistachios, and a scant 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Get it as smooth as you can, then with the motor running, stream in 2/3 cup olive oil. That's it for the pesto! Then boil a pound of pasta (I used these lovely trumpets), reserving one cup of the pasta water, and combine with the pesto. Re-season if necessary, and serve immediately. YUMMY STUFF!! And if you grab a deli roaster, dinner is done FAST! You're welcome.

No comments: