Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pinterest Palatables...

So I finally took the plunge and got involved with Pinterest. As I feared, it's a HUGE time suck, plus it compels me to cook even more than I normally do! But I must confess, there are lots of tempting recipes to try that I have pinned on my boards, and here are just two of them:

(Crock Pot) Sausage and Lentil Soup
(Source: adapted from trickschef.net via Pinterest)

1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage (I used chorizo)
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped (I used two)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (I chopped up some garlic scapes and threw those in as well)
1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup shredded carrot
8 cups water (I cut this to 6)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound ditalini pasta (optional--I used cooked elbows that I added to each serving)

Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until lentils are tender*.
Stir in pasta, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.   

*I cooked the soup in the crock pot for about eight hours. I reduced the water by two cups, and I boiled the pasta separately and just added some to each bowl.

No matter how hearty the soup, my roommate never feels that it is substantive enough to consider a meal. So I also made these quick-and-easy parmesan garlic knots out of refrigerator biscuits. They aren't as good as real rolls, of course, but they are pretty decent if you're short on time and/or energy.

Easy Parmesan Knots
(Source: Real Mom Kitchen via Pinterest)

1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

1. Roll each biscuit into a 12-in. rope and tie into a knot; tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; brush the warm knots with the mixture.

No comments: