Thursday, March 13, 2014

Too much milk? Have I got a soup for you!

I have been so CRAZED this semester, that I haven't even had time to act as the Soup Nazi at work like I usually do. I have also been too busy to do a ton of home cooking, so I am getting backlogged with my bi-weekly milk deliveries. (You should see the fridge in the garage--it's basically all jars of milk!) So I started searching for recipes that used about two quarts of milk, and I found this Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Not only is it full of dairy goodness, but it's really easy to make, and my co-workers HOOVERED it up--I barely got a mug-full myself! I definitely have to make this one again.


Loaded Baked Potato Soup
(Source: Southern Food at about.com)
Serves 6-8

2/3 cup (about 11 T) butter

2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk (I used two full quarts of Woven Meadows' Best--maybe more after it sat and thickened)
4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)--I used eight smaller ones
4 green onions, thinly sliced (I probably doubled this amount)
10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
1 1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (I probably used 1 1/2 cups, cheddar and jack)
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or more, to taste)
*I also added about a teaspoon of granulated garlic (because I like it sprinkled on my baked potato!)

In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Add potatoes and onions. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve baked potato soup immediately. (It seemed to reheat well the next day, but do it on low so it doesn't break and get grainy.)



No comments: