Sunday, January 17, 2016

Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas for a Potluck Fiesta

I was invited to a potluck dinner last night that I thought started at 6pm. I got home at 5pm, checked the event notice, and realized it actually started at 5. Ugh. Magic pot to the rescue! I took a big package of half-frozen boneless/skinless chicken thighs, seasoned and browned them, cooked them in the IP on high for eight minutes, pulled the meat and threw it in a crock pot with onions and peppers and a package of fajita "skillet sauce," and I was out the door lickety-split and off to my party! (And I brought home an empty crock afterwards! ‪#‎winning‬)

To be more specific, I started with a big package of semi-frozen boneless/skinless chicken thighs (8-10 thighs) that I sprinkled with a cilantro seasoned salt, black pepper, cumin, granulated garlic, and chili powder, then browned on both sides in a large skillet on the stove top with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (I left the thighs rolled together, not flattened out). Next, I put a cup of hot water in the IP and added the browned thighs on top of the trivet, and cooked them on high for eight minutes. Meanwhile, I sauteed two sliced red onions and a scant two cups of sliced red and yellow sweet peppers in a couple more tablespoons of olive oil (on the stove top in the same skillet in which I browned the chicken). 

When the chicken was done, I did a quick release, and then used two pairs of tongs to pull the hot meat apart. I combined the vegetables and pulled chicken along with a pouch of McCormick Roasted Chile, Garlic, and Lime Skillet Sauce. Along with the chicken fajita mixture, I took to the potluck: flour tortillas, a package of shredded Mexi-cheese, a carton of sour cream, prepared medium-hot salsa and mild pico de gallo, some leftover corn and black bean salad, and shredded iceberg lettuce. (Someone else brought guacamole, and I knew the host had a vast collection of hot sauces.) Then folks could make their fajitas as they liked--from mild to wild. Oh, and there were also corn tortilla shells for the one gluten-free guest. Great party idea, right?!


2 comments:

Mar Lou said...

Did you use the IP again after adding veggies and spices? Or just a quick mix and use the left over heat? Thanks.

Joy Bugaloo said...

I did not cook it again. The residual heat was enough. I could have cooked it in the sauce, but I would have to add liquid, and I didn't want it to be runny.