Friday, February 10, 2017

Always Save the Instant Pot Broth...and Make Soup!

I woke up an hour early yesterday for no reason, so what's a gal to do but get up and head to the kitchen to make some soup in her magic pot? I had some reserved black bean liquor from making refried black beans recently, and I bought some spicy sausage that was an in-house special at a local grocery store. I added some sweet potatoes and other tasty things, and ended up with this soup. And it's gluten-free and fairly low-carb--well, it has the good carbs, anyway--if such things are important to you. (I shared the leftovers at work today, because I'm nice like that.)

Spicy Sausage, Black Bean, and Sweet Potato Soup

1 lb. spicy sausage (chorizo or Italian)
1 large onion, diced
1 large Cubanelle or Italian frying pepper, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 quart black bean liquor* (or chicken or vegetable stock)
4 cans black beans, drained and two cans mashed by hand

Saute the sausage in the IP with the onion, pepper, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Add the sweet potatoes, oregano, and black bean liquor or stock. Cook on manual for four minutes. Do an instant release, then add the black beans, and additional stock to thin if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

*My black bean liquor (reserved liquid in which a previous batch of beans were cooked) was already very well-seasoned, but if you're using regular broth or stock, you may wish to add other/more seasonings such as paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper, to taste.


For the beans, I rinsed a pound of dry black beans and let them soak while I got started on the other ingredients. In 1/4 cup olive oil in the IP, I sauteed a large onion, four large cloves of minced garlic, and 4 whole canned green chilis that I chopped (I was looking for a chipotle in the freezer when I found the milder green chilis, so I used those). To the sauteed veggies, I added two teaspoons of dried oregano, a teaspoon of chopped dried rosemary, a half teaspoon of black pepper, and a teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, and ground celery, and a good pinch of cayene. I put in the drained beans and a quart of vegetable stock, stirred everything, then cooked on chili/bean mode for 35 minutes. I let it release naturally, drained and reserved the liquid, mashed the beans by hand with a potato masher, adding some of the bean liquor back in until I reached a desired consistency, then seasoned to taste with a favorite cilantro seasoning salt blend.



No comments: