Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Who knew the Amish ate Velveeta?

In yesterday's post-holiday dolor (your word for today), I fell down a YouTube black hole of Amish cooking videos. And I felt shamefully drawn to this casserole called Yumasetta (obviously gibberish which can't even be a real Pennsylvania Dutch word!), that's made with processed foods and cream o' chemical soup. Nevertheless, I had everything on hand to make it, including gen-u-wine Amish egg noodles, so I gave it a go.

As it turns out, it's not bad. It tastes like this sweet spaghetti that my friend and former roommate, Kim, used to make back in the day, but with egg noodles instead. I would make it again, but I'd swap out the Velveeta-type cheese for a cheddar-mozzarella blend, and I'd cut back a bit on the brown sugar, too. Still, I think this would be a hit at a church potluck.

Yumasetta (Amish Beef and Noodle Casserole)
(inspired by several YouTube video recipes)


2 lbs. ground beef (I used 1 lb. of beef plus a large can of mushrooms--I would keep it to one pound of meat, but use fresh mushrooms next time)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can tomato soup (I used tomato bisque, because I'm fancy), undiluted
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I'd cut this back by half)
few shakes of hot sauce, optional
8 oz. Velveeta, sliced or Kraft Singles (I'd use shredded cheddar and mozzarella next time)
16 oz. medium egg noodles, al dente
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 teaspoon dried parsley, optional (or use fresh if you have it!)

Brown the ground beef with the onions in a large skillet, and drain excess fat. Stir in the mushrooms (if using), and the granulated garlic, seasoned salt, pepper, and tomato soup. Pour this mixture into a 9x13 (sprayed) casserole dish. Layer the cheese on top. 

Meanwhile, cook the noodles until they are a little underdone. Drain, return to the pot, and stir in the cream of chicken soup and the parsley, if using. Top the casserole with the noodle mixture, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: