Monday, December 18, 2006

Signs of the Apocalypse, or A (Weird but) Convenient Truth?

What in the name of all that is holy is going on here? Next week is CHRISTMAS, for crying out loud, and this is what I have discovered in my herb garden! That's right, I have HERBS growing in my herb garden in DECEMBER! Now this may not seem shocking to some of you in southern climes. Indeed, my friend, Rosanne, in Miami Beach planted her tomatoes this weekend. But I live six miles from the border of Quebec! This is unprecedented and downright ridiculous! Pictured are Italian parsley, silver sage, and lime thyme (yes, yes, I have rosemary, too, but it's in a pot inside). A quick glance around the garden also revealed another variety of thyme, some marjoram, a little Swiss chard, and even a few wild strawberries starting to come back. BIZARRE! Not that I'm complaining, mind you. With the price of fuel oil and propane these days, this "tropical" weather is nothing short of a Christmas miracle for my budget. Furthermore, my chickens are loving being outside every day. Usually, by this time of year, they are literally cooped up all the time. So we are all, human and animal alike, enjoying the delay of winter's onset. But it's unsettling nevertheless. At best, it's proof of global warming. At worst, it feels like a sign of the end times! Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo...(Twilight Zone theme).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But what about the tulips and lilac. Will they bloom next year? They need a cool winter. I'm not complaining though, I miss the California Sunshine.....off to check my herbs.