Friday, March 16, 2007

At least there was ice cream pie...

I wish I had something more exciting food-wise to report, gentle readers, but alas, we spent the better part of the day in town. I had lots of errands to run, mostly involving the procurement of animal feeds for all these creatures who have no jobs and yet expect me to continually provide free room and board! At least the chickens have eggs to offer, but what do these lazy dogs and cats do around here? Buncha scrubs, if you ask me! Anyway, we also took in a movie, or rather, it took us in for over three hours of a story that went absolutely nowhere! The movie was "Zodiac," and I strongly encourage you to save your money. Despite the fact that everyone and his brother is in the film, including my beloved Robert Downey, Jr., the whole premise is a long, fruitless search for a serial killer that lasts almost forty years, which is just how long the film seems to run! And there is zero payoff at the end, I assure you. Thumbs down, we say. After the film, we grabbed a bite to eat at the new Quizno's in the mall. Now I can readily give a thumbs up to their prime rib with mozzarella on garlic bread! Have them add some banana peppers, and the juicy, savory satisfaction will drive all memory of pointless, boring movies right out of your head! ;-)

So no real recipes to post about, although I am working on something special that I hope to share with you tomorrow, if all goes well. In the meantime, here is a quickie dessert that I threw together from leftover tidbits and tucked away in the freezer that really hit the spot when we got home tonight after all our running around. I made an ice cream pie starting with a pre-fab Oreo crust, a layer of salted caramel that was left over from the Sweet and Salty Cake, some toasted, buttered pecans left over from the crust for the Creamy Lemon Pecan Bars, some shaved chocolate left over from the Chocolate Icebox Cake, lots of Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream, of course, and topped with a generous slathering of my homemade fudge sauce. Yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy batman, that looks awesome. It never even occurred to me to make my own ice cream pie, but that might just have to happen. And soon!