Saturday, June 11, 2011

I feel a little CORNY...

...but I am going to post a picture and a recipe for something that many of you have probably made before, whether you call it corn pudding, corn casserole or corn souffle'. I can't believe I've never made this version until now, because it's so easy and so luscious.  But in my (southern) family, our corn pudding recipe is entirely custard (egg)-based.  In any case, if this one is old news to you, it still bears repeating, because it's so yummy alongside soups or stews or chili or what have you. It's also very versatile, because you could include any number of tasty add-ins. Here's the basic "recipe," if you can even call it that:


Mix together a package of cornbread mix (I used Martha White Sweet Yellow), a can of creamed corn, a can of (drained) whole kernel corn, a cup of sour cream, and a stick of melted butter (I cut this to HALF a stick, and that was plenty--though you could probably could skip the butter altogether with all of that sour cream, and especially if you choose to add cheese). You could stop there and proceed to baking, but I added a cup of shredded cheddar, about a half cup of chopped chives (or scallions), and a good pinch of both salt and pepper. Bake in a sprayed 8x8 pan at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until set.

*Another delicious and spicy adaptation would be to add a small can of (drained) mild green chiles, switch out Mexi-corn for the regular kernel corn, and maybe pepper jack in place of the cheddar.

No comments: