Monday, August 01, 2011

Quiche me...beneath the (goat) milky twilight.

While I was checking out the Beekman 1802 blog recently, I came across an article on backyard chickens written by a woman named Deborah Niemann. Along with the blog post was a picture of a beautiful crustless goat cheese and spinach quiche that I was keen to make for brunch. In the comments was a link to Ms. Niemann's blog where the recipe for the quiche was to be found. I followed her boilerplate methodology, but adapted it to stuff that I had hanging about in my fridge. This recipe is definitely a keeper, especially as it is so versatile, and we will all soon have bountiful harvests from our gardens, CSA's or farmer's markets!

My version of this quiche included: caramelized onions, green peas, canadian bacon, fresh herbs, cheddar and monterey jack cheeses. The base was 1 1/2 cups goat's milk, 1/2 cup (white whole wheat) flour, 4 eggs, and a tablespoon of whole-grain Dijon mustard. Bake in a sprayed deep-dish pie plate at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, then topped with chopped tomatoes.

No comments: