Sunday, October 02, 2011

Strawberry Cream Pie: FAIL!

I don't know how these things go in your neck of the woods, but we have a preponderence of strawberries from the latter part of June through early July, but then we get another smaller wave of autumnal berries in September. So before they disappeared for good and we are stuck with those ginormous California strawberries that are WHITE on the inside (bah!), I thought I'd try to make a strawberry cream pie that I saw on John Michael Lerma's Facebook page (you may have seen him a couple of times competing in the National Pie Championships in Florida that airs annually on the Food Network).

It was simple to put together, especially since I "cheated" and used a pre-fab shortbread crust. But I am sad to report that something went wrong, and the filling did not set up overnight. The flavor was delicious, but it was just strawberry fluff on the plate. So at that point, I chucked the rest of the pie into the freezer, and we ate it frozen the next day, which was quite good. And it was such a pretty pale pink--little girls would love this pie, I think, or those of us who are pretty little princesses at heart!

In any case, I'm going to have to try to make it again, perhaps with fresher heavy cream that hold its whip better. That's the only thing that I can think of that may have gone wrong, other than maybe I added extra strawberry puree? I will measure carefully next time. However, it was very nice as a frozen pie, and would be very refreshing in the summer!


Strawberry Cream Pie
(Source: John Michael Lerma at Garden County Cooking)

1 1/2 cups crushed cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie (you know the one) or graham crackers
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1 cup mashed fresh strawberries (I pressed the puree through a strainer to remove most of the seeds)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

Combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter and press into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 375F degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the strawberries. In small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture. Gently spoon mixture into prepared crust. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.

Serves 8-10 (Um, I say this serves 6!)

2 comments:

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chef John Michael said...

Hello Joy! I wanted to thank you for trying my pie recipe and I'm sorry that it didn't set up for you but also extend an invitation to you to let me know how I can help if my pie recipe hasn't or doesn't work again for you.

I happened upon your blog and love to read about pies and those that make them.

Again, let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

"Keep it flaky" John Michael Lerma
www.GardenCountyCooking.com