Sunday, September 08, 2013

Getting fizzy with it (na na na na na na na)!

A week ago, a couple of my PBGV/dog show friends came to my region to do some hiking in the Adirondacks. My roommate and I met them in Lake Placid last Sunday night for dinner at one of our favorite (semi-)local eateries, Liquids and Solids at the Handle Bar. The food, weather, and company were all delicious, but I was especially taken with a cocktail that we tried called a Lavendula. Their drink had just raspberry puree and a lavender simple syrup, but when I tried to recreate a similar version at home, I used a triple berry blend and basil from my garden instead of the lavender. Also, I used less sugar and swapped out Fresca for club soda because that's what I had on hand. DELISH!



Berry Gin Fizz
(Source: adapted from Bon Appetit and Smitten Kitchen)

1 cup fresh berries (I used blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
6 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup (4 liquid ounces or just shy of 3 shots) gin
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from two juicy limes)
one can of Fresca
2 sprigs sweet basil

Purée berries and sugar in a blender until as liquefied as possible. Strain purée through a fine-mesh sieve then discard the seeds. (You won't use all of this--it's probably enough for two more cocktails, yay!)

Fill two 16 oz. glasses 3/4 of the way with ice. Divide gin and lime juice between glasses, add 1/4 cup of the berry purée to each glass and stir to combine. Top with soda and a sprig of basil. (Might need another quick stir to combine.) Share with someone you like.

No comments: