Friday, August 10, 2007

Taking the chocolate icebox cake up a few notches...

I have been up to my eyeballs in pies and tarts featuring all of the season's best stone fruits and berries in any and all combinations. And they have been glorious to be sure. But sometimes, people need CHOCOLATE! I found a Martha recipe that was just the ticket. It's basically a twist on everyone's favorite chocolate icebox cake, but instead of whipped cream, you layer the chocolate cookies with a simple bittersweet chocolate mousse and mold it in a lined loaf pan. YUM!! It's quite easy to make (only five ingredients...actually, four plus a garnish!), and yet decadent and elegant enough to impress even the most discerning of dinner guests. I definitely recommend this one to the chocoholics among you.

Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse Torte
(Source:
Martha Stewart Living)
Serves 12 to 15

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 65 percent cacao), chopped
3 cups heavy cream, divided
3 tablespoons sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
12 ounces crisp oval butter wafer cookies (20 total...I needed about 30 myself)
good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting

Make mousse: Put chocolate in a large bowl, and set aside. Heat 1 1/2 cups cream over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan until cream is steaming and small bubbles form on edges. Pour cream over chocolate. Stir until mixture is smooth. Let cool completely.

Put remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture, one third at a time.

Assemble torte: Line a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang on sides. Spread enough mousse (3/4 to 1 cup) over bottom of pan to cover. Arrange 5 cookies (more like 7 1/2) on top in a single layer to cover, breaking them to fit as necessary. Spread enough mousse (3/4 to 1 cup) on top to cover; smooth into an even layer. Repeat process with remaining cookies and mousse until pan is full. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface, and refrigerate torte until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.

Remove plastic wrap from surface. Invert torte onto a serving plate; unmold, using overhang to coax it out. Remove plastic wrap. Dust with cocoa.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, your pictures and recipes make me crazy!! (all non-bakers hail the bakers among us) And actually, that rhubarb raisin pie does not sound bad at all. The older I get, the more I think the old folks know what's good--it turns out my grandmother was right about almost everything food-related. I still can't wait to move to P'burgh and get my hands on one of your pies! Gabby in Albany

Joy Bugaloo said...

Even non-bakers can make this torte, Gabby! It's bakeless, and is really more about assembling than cooking!

And I'd be happy to bake you a pie...anytime! :-) --Gina

Anonymous said...

yummy...epicurious did some icebox cakes not too long ago...one was a 'pop art' raspberry and chocolate one

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/238747

Anonymous said...

All righty, I think I'll try to make it for a co-worker's birthday this week. But can you tell me just what cookie to buy? Brand would be good--I'm pretty clueless. Also--do you do much whole-wheat flour baking?

Joy Bugaloo said...

The cookies you'll want to use are called Famous Wafers. They are basically just like Oreos without the cream filling. They sell them right in the cookie aisle in a plastic-covered sleeve. (Look on the top shelf...they are usually up top for some reason.) I think this dessert will rock your co-worker's world, especially if he/she is a chocoholic! :-)

I do a little whole wheat baking, but I usually like to do half white and half whole wheat for a softer texture, or I will also swap out white whole wheat for white flour sometimes. I'd love to get King Arthur's new Whole Grain Baking Book and try some new recipes, though!

--Gina