Friday, August 03, 2012

Summer Salvation!

In Atlantic City at the "Your Morning Cup" event, I sampled the BEST iced coffee I've ever had in my life from a couple of guys called Dallis Brothers who were brewing up a special Kenyan varietal. So when I got home, I was inspired to start making iced coffee at home. I don't know why it's taken me this to try the Pioneer Woman's iced coffee recipe, but it's my new favorite beverage, especially to combat the summer heat. And it's so simple! You combine a pound of ground coffee (the darker the better IMHO) with two gallons of cold water, then cover and let it steep for at least eight hours.

Next, line a strainer with several layers of cheesecloth--or I prefer a flour sack towel moistened, then doubled and then doubled again and placed in the strainer. Pour the coffee through the lined strainer. It may take awhile for all the coffee to strain through, and you may have to scrape the liner and press with a spoon, etc., but your patience will be rewarded.

After straining the coffee, I pour mine into one of those refrigerator water dispensers with the little tap on it so that I can just hold my glass of ice under it and fill 'er up! I also add a generous glug of half and half, a packet of Splenda, and--the piece de resistance--a big spoonful of sweetened condensed milk. YUM and YUM, I say! You simply must try it if you haven't already.

No comments: