Monday, May 20, 2013

Best Yet Spaghetti!

This is kind of a lame thing to post about, and I don't even have a picture, because I just made...spaghetti. But it may have been the best batch I've ever thrown together, so I want to commit the recipe to memory--or because my memory sucks the older I get, I will commit it to a page of this humble little blog. I HIGHLY recommend you give this version a try for a quick work/school night dinner.

Gina's Sweet and Spicy Sausage Spaghetti

1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon double-concentrated tomato paste (or a 1/2 can of regular strength)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 jar (26 oz.) your favorite pasta sauce (I used garlic and herb)
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 lb. spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions until al dente
 
Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
 
Brown one pound of sweet Italian sausage (casings removed if in links) in a large skillet along with one large diced onion. When the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender, drain off most of the excess fat then add in the minced garlic, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Reduce for a couple/few minutes until the wine and vinegar are thick and syrupy. Then stir in the tomato paste, hot sauce, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, pasta sauce, and brown sugar. Simmer until the pasta is ready. Drain the pasta, then toss with all of the sauce. Thin with a little pasta water if necessary. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments: