Also, I wanted to do a twist on traditional potato salad using sweet potatoes, based on a recipe shared with me by one of my CrossFit/Paleo friends, Willow. She swears that she has taken this dish to potlucks and people raved about it, even people who aren't counting carbs. I must concur--it is FANTASTIC!
"Cyd's Low-Carb Adventure," Day 3
Breakfast: Watermelon and Mango Smoothie (with almond milk)
Lunch: Curried Chicken Salad with Dried Cranberries in Lettuce Cups--pictured
Dinner: Grilled Sirloin Steak with Montreal Seasoning, Corn on the Cob, Sweet Potato Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette--pictured
Dessert: Cauliflower "Rice" Pudding
Total: 149 carbs!
Sweet Potato Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
1 red onion, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
6 green onions, finely sliced
1. Once your potatoes are cubed, boil them or roast them in a little olive oil until tender (400 degrees for about 40 minutes).
2. While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet and fry the bacon. Cook until crisp. Once bacon is cooked, remove bacon and place it on a towel lined plate.
3. Now add the sliced onion and minced garlic to the leftover bacon grease and cook until soft.
4. Once onions and garlic are tender, remove from heat and add honey, white wine vinegar, and mustard.
5. Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil (all of it if you boiled the potatoes, or the remainder of it if you used some to roast the potatoes in). Add onion mixture and bacon. Finally, add green onions. Season to taste.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.